Oftentimes it seems like we can't possibly have the energy to exercise, especially on bad PH days. Don't let that discourage you, everyone feels that way, even people who don't have a health condition. Some days exercise seems impossible, like those days that we don't even have the energy to leave the house - but then there are other days, days when we feel "pretty ok." I believe that with exercise, we increase our opportunity for good days. It is accepted by most medical professionals in the PH world, that a patient will see improved quality of life by following an exercise regimen. So here are some benefits of choosing and sticking with an exercise program:

Benefits of getting PHIT:
1.) Increased quality of life - A regular exercise program will lower the heart rate when resting and while doing every day activities. With proper conditioning and practice a patient will notice less shortness of breath in their every day life. For example, during the course of the last month, my fitbit estimates that my resting heart rate has gone from the high 60's to the low 60's. When I started exercising again after Christmas, my resting heart rate was in the low 70's.
2.)Weight Loss - The less we weigh, the less strain we put on our bodies trying to get around. Because PHers are already battling extreme fatigue, we need all the help we can get! When we weigh less we will have more energy, and our heart will be under less strain. Not only is this great for our hearts, but it is great for our mind, and quality of life!
3.) Strength gain - Honestly it just feels good to do daily tasks without struggling. I have to load my dog in and out of the car, she is 80 lbs. I used to struggle with it, now after being on a weight training program, I don't. The more muscles we have the more calories we burn. I am not saying that someone with pulmonary hypertension should be a body builder, but a little muscle tone can go a long way!
4.) Positivity- Exercise lowers our risk of depression, and releases endorphin's which help us feel good! In fact many doctors are now prescribing exercise instead of medications for a wide variety of chronic illnesses. While little about exercising with PH is known, the general consensus is that mild exercise is good for us. Personally I feel that cardio works best for me, but I also like having the muscle!
Keep in mind I am not a doctor and i am only writing from my own personal experience. Always talk to your doctor before starting an exercise program. It takes commitment, but deciding on a PHitness goal, whatever a persons current level of activity can do wonders for the body, and the mind!
Comments
Post a Comment