As a Pulmonary Hypertension Patient my brain is frequently wracked with questions and uncertainty of my future.
Being a young person with PH is a curse, but also can be a blessing. There are many sad things that go along with being a young PH'er, like being held back because of this disease, the grief for the life or future we envisioned, and the struggle to still have a vibrant and exciting life. The good thing though I believe is that it gives me a chance to plan my future according to my new normal.
If I had been diagnosed later in life, I feel that I would have a more difficult time adjusting and coping with the situation. Now I can make plans for my future that will ensure a vibrant life regardless of having PH.
Making a better future:
Health:
I am lucky that with treatment and slow deliberate determination my condition has become fairly mild. Health is the most important priority on my list. I am in the works of creating a more healthy lifestyle for myself. For me this means:
Almost every day I have to remind myself that following this list and making the best possible decisions regarding my health is the only way to have a good future. NOTHING is more important than a persons health. Because of PH my health is already compromised, so I need to do everything I can to help my body in the PHight.
Living Vibrantly:
Even before PH my dream was to travel the world. I went so far as envision hitch hiking across the world performing haircuts to get to each new destination. The world is a crazy place though, and I like a little more security than that. I want to experience different cultures and immerse myself in the vibrancy of the world!
I also Plan to spend more time with my family and friends. I have always been terrible at keeping in touch with people, but once I have more time I think I will be better at it. I have the most fantastic support system out there and I am routinely overwhelmed with gratitude for my loved ones. They rock, and I want to spend more time with them.
Purging:
Getting rid of stuff! Why do I need so much stuff!? We can't take it with us when we go, right?! I have realized that having all these knick knack's and possessions is going to make it more difficult later in life. Of course I love my shot glass collection and bazillion photo albums, and I literally save all the cards I receive... BUT, I have to get rid of some things.
Having so many things makes it so much more difficult to keep the house clean. Buying stuff I don't need only brings momentary happiness. I have a hard time keeping my house clean and decluttered because over the years I have found it hard to part with the excess. If I am having a hard time keeping the house clean now, how tough is it going to be when my condition gets worse? It is so important that I purge! I have always loved the idea of living more simply, and so I am slowly going through and trying to get rid of the extra stuff cluttering my life.
Financial Concerns
Inevitably what will make or break my future life is going to be fiances.
For me personally I think a lot about work. I spend a full work week slaving away for the man, in a job where I stand on a concrete floor all day long. I love my job, and I am blessed to have a job where I look forward to work most days. Unfortunately in my career field I get little to no vacation time and I only have one day off with my husband each week. We try to make time for friends and family, but we also want time for each other. Life is flying by faster than I can keep up!
Like most people I don't want to spend my whole life working, especially when I worry about how much time I have left! For about a year I searched for a new job, one that would be less taxing on my body, where I would get more time off, and better hours. Then I had an AH HA moment. I kept putting off my idea and making excuses about why it wasn't the right time to put my plan into play. Then I realized that there is never a right time, and if I wanted the future I envisioned I needed to put my plan into play.
The exciting news is this: I am starting my own business! My business idea is not new, but I believe it will help me have a more happy life. I am going to do In-Home beauty services for my clients. My focus in the beginning will be on working with disabled and elderly. Everyone deserves to feel beautiful, and it is often hard for this demographic to get to a salon. In the beginning of course I will be working two jobs, and that will be difficult - but so worth it! If my business takes off I will be able to work my own hours, and I will have more time dedicated to my family and joining in the PHight.
- How quickly is my condition going to progress?
- How much time will I have to accomplish my dreams and goals?
- What will I do when I can no longer work?
- What if I die before I use my retirement fund?
These are a small few of the questions I think about for the future. I know these hard hitting questions will be slightly different for everyone depending on where they are currently at in life and their health conditions, but for me most of my questions have to do with the uncertainty of the future.
Being a young person with PH is a curse, but also can be a blessing. There are many sad things that go along with being a young PH'er, like being held back because of this disease, the grief for the life or future we envisioned, and the struggle to still have a vibrant and exciting life. The good thing though I believe is that it gives me a chance to plan my future according to my new normal.
If I had been diagnosed later in life, I feel that I would have a more difficult time adjusting and coping with the situation. Now I can make plans for my future that will ensure a vibrant life regardless of having PH.
Making a better future:
Health:
I am lucky that with treatment and slow deliberate determination my condition has become fairly mild. Health is the most important priority on my list. I am in the works of creating a more healthy lifestyle for myself. For me this means:
- Working out and staying active, to the best of my ability
- Creating more healthy eating habits
- Remembering to take my medications and vitamins
- Getting more sleep
- Destressing and enjoying my life - I guess mental health?
Almost every day I have to remind myself that following this list and making the best possible decisions regarding my health is the only way to have a good future. NOTHING is more important than a persons health. Because of PH my health is already compromised, so I need to do everything I can to help my body in the PHight.
Living Vibrantly:
Even before PH my dream was to travel the world. I went so far as envision hitch hiking across the world performing haircuts to get to each new destination. The world is a crazy place though, and I like a little more security than that. I want to experience different cultures and immerse myself in the vibrancy of the world!
I also Plan to spend more time with my family and friends. I have always been terrible at keeping in touch with people, but once I have more time I think I will be better at it. I have the most fantastic support system out there and I am routinely overwhelmed with gratitude for my loved ones. They rock, and I want to spend more time with them.
Purging:
Getting rid of stuff! Why do I need so much stuff!? We can't take it with us when we go, right?! I have realized that having all these knick knack's and possessions is going to make it more difficult later in life. Of course I love my shot glass collection and bazillion photo albums, and I literally save all the cards I receive... BUT, I have to get rid of some things.
Having so many things makes it so much more difficult to keep the house clean. Buying stuff I don't need only brings momentary happiness. I have a hard time keeping my house clean and decluttered because over the years I have found it hard to part with the excess. If I am having a hard time keeping the house clean now, how tough is it going to be when my condition gets worse? It is so important that I purge! I have always loved the idea of living more simply, and so I am slowly going through and trying to get rid of the extra stuff cluttering my life.
Financial Concerns
Inevitably what will make or break my future life is going to be fiances.
- How much stress will I be under trying to pay bills?
- Can I afford a little help when things get tough? (housecleaning, yard maintenance, a caregiver)
- Will I be able to afford a vacation now and then?
- How will I pay for healthcare?
Knowing I will have these financial burdens now, will make it easier for me to plan for them. Currently I am saving for retirement through my work. Everyone who is working should start a retirement plan at 18. We cannot count on the government to help us when we are older, and need to make our future more financially sound regardless of our health.
Hubby and I are paying off all our debt as fast as possible. This way we will have more money to save for our future, travel as much as possible, and if it comes to a point where I cannot work - its ok.
For me personally I think a lot about work. I spend a full work week slaving away for the man, in a job where I stand on a concrete floor all day long. I love my job, and I am blessed to have a job where I look forward to work most days. Unfortunately in my career field I get little to no vacation time and I only have one day off with my husband each week. We try to make time for friends and family, but we also want time for each other. Life is flying by faster than I can keep up!
Like most people I don't want to spend my whole life working, especially when I worry about how much time I have left! For about a year I searched for a new job, one that would be less taxing on my body, where I would get more time off, and better hours. Then I had an AH HA moment. I kept putting off my idea and making excuses about why it wasn't the right time to put my plan into play. Then I realized that there is never a right time, and if I wanted the future I envisioned I needed to put my plan into play.
The exciting news is this: I am starting my own business! My business idea is not new, but I believe it will help me have a more happy life. I am going to do In-Home beauty services for my clients. My focus in the beginning will be on working with disabled and elderly. Everyone deserves to feel beautiful, and it is often hard for this demographic to get to a salon. In the beginning of course I will be working two jobs, and that will be difficult - but so worth it! If my business takes off I will be able to work my own hours, and I will have more time dedicated to my family and joining in the PHight.



Comments
Post a Comment