Running in 90 Degree weather...

Last Saturday, (August 13th) hubby and I participated in a fun run. We had signed up for the Night
Nation 5k here in Washington, many months ago. Originally when hubby signed us up I really was training hard and trying to get a good race time. Then I found out that the Night Nation Run is basically a big party. That worked out great for me, because it took off the pressure that I was feeling to do  really well.

Saturday came and it was 90 degrees and quite humid. At the start of the run I felt like I was doing fairly well, and keeping a good and sustainable pace. Typically I do not sweat much, but water was basically running off me as if it had rained. Since I live in Washington I was obviously  not prepared to run during a heat wave, and was glad that this would not have to be my best performance. Unfortunately the air was like breathing water, and I ran out of steam quickly. About half a mile in I felt myself slow down quite a bit, and other than the quick burst of energy to get around the walkers, I was moving quite slowly.

Towards the end I was exhausted and not sure how much I would be able to enjoy the party. To our surprise, and my relief the course ended up only being 2.5 miles. I typically go running multiple times a week, and even people who don't usually get any cardio activities in were faster than I was. I completed the event though, which is a big triumph in itself, and I had a great time!

The Night Nation Run benefits cancer research, and is a fun way to get people from the community interested in coming out to support their event - who otherwise would not be interested. I mean, who doesn't love a good party? Someday I think it would be fantastic to have our own PH run here in Washington. I know that there was one earlier this year, but I think someday we could have one on a much larger scale. Perhaps when the weather is not quite so muggy and hot!

The next day I was run down, and my chest hurt. Luckily I was able to recover and now I am planning to get back to training for longer distance running, hopefully a 12k will be in my future soon! Please follow my PHitness journey! To check out the video of our run click here!

P.S. I have heard on the news that the rest of the country has been on fire (literally and figuratively) this summer. Here in Washington it has still been relatively cool. Here are some tips from active.com for running in the hot and humid weather.

Comments